Friday, May 21, 2010

The New "A-Team"

The A Team movie poster
I was going to bring this up a while back, but there's a few things that bother me about what I've seen in the new "A-Team" movie trailer, and it's not the lack of Mr. T. In the current trailer, B.A. Barracus, played by MMA fighter Quinton "Rampage" Jackson, hums the "A-Team" television theme song. Now is this meta, or just stupid? I lean toward stupid, not knowing what the context is. But even with a reasonable setup, I don't understand why you would do something like that. Did the filmmakers think that would be a funny nod to the original show? Like how it's funny to show the van get crushed? Because that wasn't funny at all. In fact that kind of pissed me off. It's like blowing up the General Lee. The van was the fifth A-Team member before they added characters in the fifth season. Crushing it is like killing off Face or Murdock.

Also, while watching the trailer, I lamented the fact that they would likely forgo the use of old style AK-47s and M-16s. I also wondered how many people were not going to die in this movie. If you watched the original show, you'd understand.

And lastly, who designed the poster? Up until this poster, I considered "Did You Hear About the Morgans?" to have the worst poster of the last year. A giant Sarah Jessica Parker horse-face plastered across anything is not the best way to sell a product. But this one has set new standards. What's going on with the contrast? Why are these guys getting blasted by the sun? Couldn't they powder their noses, I'm actually blinded by this poster. What kind of cameraman couldn't fit their faces into frame? And did they go and add more wrinkles? These guys are so high-def, you can practically climb into their pores. And so much hair. Instead of Hannibal, Face, B.A., and Murdock, they should call them Beard, Beard, Mohawk, and Stubble.

In the end, I will still see the movie, but for much more different reasons than being fond of the original show. I hope it's the train wreck that I'm looking forward to seeing. If it's not, I might just have to bust out the old AK and not hit anything until I'm just close enough to punch somebody out.

No comments:

Post a Comment