Saturday, January 23, 2010

I'll miss you, Coco!

And the masturbating bear, too.

Tonight was the last Tonight Show with Conan O'Brien. I must admit that I was a lapsed Conan fan. When I started working after I got out of college, I rarely found the time to watch Late Night as sleeping became more important with respect to my job performance. But even with the advent of DVRs and Hulu, I still found myself too busy to watch Conan.

Too busy to watch Conan... It sounds so strange.

Then all of this happened. I had never thought of a world without Conan on the air. In all the years I didn't watch, I felt safe, knowing that he and his crew were out there making people happy. Now the prospect of him going bye-bye had me panicked. So I started watching the show again. I went to the rally and stood there in the freezing rain with my friend and hundreds of other fans. I rewatched old episodes I had recorded, and scoured youtube for old bits. And in all of this I remembered why I enjoyed Conan so much.

Whale Week. Preparation-H Raymond. Andy Blitz as that terrible fan with the cheers. Frankenstein wastes a minute of your time. So many fond memories. Heck, even my blog name (which has also been my gamer tag) is a Conan reference. I have had so many fond memories of watching the show while it was still Late Night with Conan O'Brien, back when Andy was just a sidekick and before Smigel had his hand stuffed up Triumph's rear. I always went to bed happy, having had a good laugh or two while watching the show.

So here's to Conan. I hope you get back on the air as soon as the litigation will allow you. No matter what, I'm sure it'll be fun, and this time I promise to watch.

No comments:

Post a Comment